[Dovecot] dovecot-deliver occasionally fails to deliver, leaving no clues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 18 14:00:58 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 12:47 -0700, Lucas Madar wrote:
> I turned on delivery logging to see what I'd get, and I simply get this:
> deliver(xxxxxx at xxxxx.xxx): Oct 17 00:36:22 Info: Loading modules from
> directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/lda
> deliver(xxxxxx at xxxxx.xxx): Oct 17 00:36:22 Info: Module loaded: /usr/
> local/lib/dovecot/lda/lib90_cmusieve_plugin.so
> (normally, here it would print out more info about the user, as "auth
> input" lines, but it doesn't when it fails in this way)

Applying this patch probably makes it log that "auth lookup failed":
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/b085c58fcf14

But in that case the auth process should already have logged errors.

> log_path: /var/log/pickup.log
> info_log_path: /var/log/pickup.log

I'd suggest using different files for these. Errors are written to
log_path, and that log file should always stay empty. It's a lot easier
to notice errors when they're not surrounded by a lot of useless
logging.

I guess you could already just grep for "Error:" or "Warning:" from the
pickup.log to see if there are some auth errors.