[Dovecot] Multiple IMAP connections.

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Oct 15 17:29:03 EEST 2008

There is a project (catmail) to build a webmail front end using the
Catalyst Framework and the question came up about multiple connections
per user.

Specifically the question was:

"The IMAP server can support multiple connections, but do you think the
backend should support multiple connections for separate folders or one
IMAP connection for one session?"

Since my servers are too low volume to have hit any kind of resource
limits, and I believe Thunderbird mostly does the "Right Thing", I'm
asking how you, that have higher volume systems, would prefer
connections handled.

Also I believe there was a thread, or two :-), on the way some of the
other webmail programs handle connections.  Not good?

Thanks for all insights and suggestions.

Rod