[Dovecot] Cyrus MailDir to Dovecot mbox

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Fri Oct 10 20:11:31 EEST 2008

[On why mbox and not maildir]
> It's to do with how our current file services are setup and a personal
> preference and familiarity with the mbox format.

FWIW it was familiarity with mbox, and that maildir was a big unknown
for me, that almost made me choose mbox.

But then I read up on maildir and found it quite elegant, simple to
understand, and robust (ie. no more huge mbox file filled with nulls,
which has happened to me when something failed during mbox file write).

I can see one issue with it, when using rsync to back up the mailboxes
to a different machine:
since the file names of the articles change when they are read, and when
the state changes, rsync may ending up transferring the same article
more than once (unless it has some clever checksumming to recognize
files that may be the same when the name has changed), but in practice I
don't think that will be much of a problem.