[Dovecot] Something weird happening...

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Oct 9 18:30:43 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> Claudio Prono wrote:
>>> Very strange, i have tryied to chmod 666 all log files, like that:
>>> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root  681 Oct  8 11:08 dovecot-err.log
>>> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1039 Oct  8 11:02 dovecot-inf.log
>>> (Is terrible i know, but only a test)
>>
>> I think you should follow the suggestion already provided:

> dovecot? In the preferred configuration only login processes run using
> dovecot user, and the dovecot user has access to nothing. Login
> processes don't need to access log files.

An excellent point!

I guess the better alternatives to 666 logs would be

1. use syslog
2. split deliver logs off to their own files
3. Depending on how deliver is being run, chown the logs to the user that
runs deliver or put all of the uid's it might run as (i.e. all mail users)
into a group and chgrp the logs to that group with 660 permissions.