[Dovecot] shared mailboxes in 1.2 question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 9 13:11:19 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 12:28 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:03 +0200, Sascha Wilde wrote:
> > It seems to work now for subscribing and selecting (and therefor for
> > lsub and fetch) -- but LIST still bails out:
> >
> > l2 list "" "*"
> > * LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Calendar"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Contacts"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Journal"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Notes"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Tasks"
> > * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/bla"
> > l2 NO Unknown internal list error
> >
> > This happens as soon as dovecot stumbles upon the shared namespace, so
> > that other public name spaces, which otherwise work, are affected, too.
>
> Right, that's intentional. You could set list=no to that namespace to
> avoid the error, or implement the listing code. :)

Well, I changed it a bit anyway since it seems to work slightly better
when it doesn't return an error:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/d30f0525d457

1 list "" s/%
1 OK List completed.

2 list "" s/test/%
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "s/test/INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "s/test/hello"
2 OK List completed.

3 list "" s/%
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "s/test"
3 OK List completed.

So it's still missing the "users who have mailboxes shared to you"
discovery missing. I guess the easiest way to implement that would be to
find those out at startup and create a namespace for all such users
immediately. A better performing way would be to delay the namespace
creation until the mailboxes are actually accessed and just have
shared-list.c's LIST code list those users (with some kind of caching).