[Dovecot] Folders within folders?

Brian Hayden bhayden at umn.edu
Thu Oct 9 03:40:20 EEST 2008

On Oct 8 2008, ed beers wrote:

>I'm trying to migrate my emails from an existing server (University of
>Washington IMAP toolkit) to dovecot.  My clients are all using Thunderbird.
>
>I'm moving to a new Ubuntu based server (old one was Centos4) and
>selected dovecot solely because it was the default option.  I'm not
>committed to it if it isn't the right tool for my application.
>
>My existing server allows hierarchical folders and these are used to
>organize 20 years worth of carefully sorted emails.
>
>I can create a new folders on the dovecot server but Thunderbird
>doesn't  allow me to create new sub-folders within them.  I think T-bird
>is configured OK since this works on the old server.
>
>Is this a dovecot limitation or have I configured it incorrectly?

You have something configured incorrectly. Dovecot allows creating folders
within folders out of the box (as does any non-idiotic IMAP server). I'd
double-check the Thunderbird config for your test Dovecot account against
one that you know will create subfolders on your UW server. They worked
exactly the same when we tested this functionality during our conversion
from UW.

--
Brian Hayden
UMN OIT Internet Services