[Dovecot] IMAP and SMTP Authentication

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Oct 7 19:16:17 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Oct  7 08:17:20 mx0 dovecot: auth(default):
>> passwd-file(info at aesoft-sbcs.com,66.193.34.88): unknown user
>
> It's looking up info at aesoft-sbcs.com from the file.
>
>> info:{PLAIN}crap:5000:5000::/var/mail/vhosts/aesoft-sbcs.com/info
>
> But you have only info there. So either change it here, or:
>
>>  passdb:
>>    driver: passwd-file
>>    args: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/passwd
>
>  From http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile:
>
> username_format=<s>: Look up usernames using this format instead of the
> full username (%u). If you want to enable user at domain logins but have
> only "user" in the file, set this to %n.
>
> So use:
>
> passdb passwd-file {
>   args = username_format=%n /var/mail/vhosts/%d/passwd
> }

Well these did seem to be set correctly (I've been experimenting with
different settings).

Here is a portion of "dovecot -n" output

passdb:
   driver: passwd-file
   args: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/passwd
userdb:
   driver: passwd-file
   args: uid=vmail gid=vmail username_format=%n /var/mail/vhosts/%d/passwd

Where does userdb and passdb each come into play?  Should their settings
be the same since I'm using one file?

TIA,
Rod