[Dovecot] Feature wish: "Virtual" POP3 folder with IMAP

James Barrante jbdovecot at fcgh.net
Sat Oct 4 05:26:47 EEST 2008

Guten Morgen Heiko,

I think you misunderstood.  I'm not after a way of simulating IMAP via POP3,
which would certainly violate RFCs.  I'm looking for a way to make *all*
messages accessible to a POP3 client, regardless a message is inside the
INBOX folder or not.  To illustrate:

 IMAP/Webmail view:  #  Current POP3       #  Intended
                     #   implementation    #    "POP3 view":
   - INBOX folder    #                     #
       + message a   #       + message a   #      + message a
       + message b   #       + message b   #      + message b
   - Spam folder     #                     #      + message c
       + message c   #                     #      + message d
   - Work folder     #                     #
       + message d   #                     #
   - SENT folder     #                     #
       + message e   #                     #

Message "e" isn't part of the "POP3 view" as the SENT and the TRASH folders
are special.  So it would boil down to a virtual folder view a POP3 client
gets.  Is that possible?

Maybe I didn't correctly chose some technical terms :-)

James

Heiko wrote:
James wrote:
> is it possible to implement a "flat folder view" for POP3 users?

No. If you need folder, use IMAP. If you need Sieve, use IMAP. If you need
Sent or Spam folders, use IMAP.

POP3 is limited and it is neither possible nor useful to simulate IMAP
behavoir with POP3. That's the reason why IMAP was invented.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting          Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE         Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327   Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327   14195 Berlin