[Dovecot] [dovecot] Pre-populate index files for mbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 25 19:01:49 EET 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Jonathan Siegle wrote:

> Is there a program written that can be used to build the index files
> for a given mbox file without using IMAP/POP? If not I'll be happy
> to donate it when I'm done. The args would be the userid , the full
> path to the mbox and where to put the index files.

There's a difference between IMAP and POP3: With POP3 you really want
to have message sizes cached. With IMAP you might not want to cache
any fields, but depending on the client you might want to cache many
different fields. That's not really easy to figure out beforehand
(unless you just cache pretty much everything).

Anyway assuming you want POP3 to be fast for most people, this'll do it:

export MAIL=mbox:/tmp:INBOX=/path/to/mbox/file
echo "quit" | /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3