[Dovecot] mail_privileged_group not working for dotlock files (1.1.6)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 21 22:51:44 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 15:45 -0500, Rob Mangiafico wrote:
> > Running dovecot 1.1.6 on centOS 5 and RHEL 5.
> >
> > With the settings:
> > pop3_lock_session = yes
> > mail_privileged_group = mail
> > mail_location = mbox:~/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

What does ~/ expand to? What does mail_debug=yes show? The privileged
locking isn't used if INBOX appears under the mail root directory. So if
~/ expands to /, /var, /var/spool or /var/spool/mail, the privileged
locking isn't done.

> > Nov 19 09:31:01 lexiconn2 dovecot: child 32127 (pop3) killed with signal 11

Could you get gdb backtrace of this crash? See
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

> > The reason we have dotlock as the primary format is due to procmail LDA from
> > sendmail:
> > ---
> > procmail -v 2>&1|grep Locking
> > Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl()
> > ---
> >
> > I assume we have to make the "mbox_write_locks" match the procmail locking...

Actually it's not necessary. You'll need to have at least one common
locking mechanism. Using only fcntl Dovecot would be enough if procmail
also uses fcntl.