[Dovecot] MESSAGE Quota not RFC2087 compliant

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 18 18:18:21 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 15:36 +0100, Braun, Martin wrote:
> RFC2087 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2087.html) describes the response like as:
>
> STORAGE: Sum of messages' RFC822.SIZE, in units of 1024 octets

BTW. Dovecot doesn't do this. Originally I kept wondering if it should
be counting the RFC822.SIZEs or physical message sizes and then I ended
up using physical sizes. But I guess it doesn't really matter.

> MESSAGE: Number of messages
>
> As you can see, the response "MESSAGES" differs from the specified "MESSAGE"
> which leads to parsing issues on RFC compliant IMAP client implementations.
> Using *:message=1337 throws a configuration error on Dovecot startup.

I guess message quota is rarely used, since no-one has noticed this
before. :) Fixed now: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/568fed966ca3