[Dovecot] Unbreakable NFS locking issues...

Rod Treweek rtreweek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 01:15:20 EET 2008

    Yeah, Sorry, still kind of figuring out list protocol. Thanks for the

I've not built this system, but I've inherited the responsibility of
maintaining it, so I'm still kind of trying to gradually learn about how
everything works together.

I think that the main things are:

fcntl; pretty sure that dotlock is what we should be using, however, I was
under the impression that lockd would/could deal with the file locking
issues, if it were present on both client and server.

It also appears that the sql string is overwriting, or rather replacing
information gathered from the config...Am I correct in this observation?
Even though mbox is there in the config, it looks like the sql string is
overwriting, or replacing elements of the config, which leads me to my next
question:

If the mbox directive in the config is basically not being used because of
the connnection/query string, then I'm thinking that maybe the INDEX
directive is also probably not being used as well...Which would probably
screw things up pretty badly...Any thoughts on this?

I'm going to be setting up a test environment here quite soon, so hopefully
I'll have some of my own answers to post back to the list, however, if
anyone has anything to add in the meantime, I'd very much appreciate it.

-Rod