[Dovecot] Dovecot master process

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 12 00:34:05 EET 2008

We are running into a situation where Dovecot master is simply trying
to do too much.  It some situations, we are finding that there are
times in which it cannot service requests.  Restarting Dovecot seems
to help in these situations, possibly due to the fact that it no longer
has to manage its THOUSANDS of file descriptors for pipes to the many
imap/proxy processes that it uses for logging.  Is there a way to turn
off logging through the master process (in exchange for lesser security)?
If not, would it be easy to have the master process do its logging using
separate threads (which would help on some modern hardware)?  Finally,
would it be easy to delegate the task of logging to a dedicated process?

We are still running Dovecot 1.0.0 at this time, on Solaris 10 servers.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: WBOB, 621F
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593