[Dovecot] Unbreakable NFS locking issues...

Rod Treweek rtreweek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:24:42 EET 2008

Thank you very much for your reply, Noel,

>Firstly, posting the same message with a slightly modified subject wont
get you any answers any sooner, please refrain from doing this, it only
gives you a bad name and may have the opposite affect to one you desire.

Yeah, typical rookie move by posting twice...didn't see my post, so went
into the dovecot list setting for my account to adjust it to get a
confirmation, and then sent the message again.  Really stupid, and I
apologize.

>Generally when lodging requests for help, it pays to use the latest
version of software, 1.1.2 is old.

Definitely will be doing this, but just wanted to get some information on
the locking issue first.

>mbox over NFS ? That is asking for trouble, mbox is *not* NFS safe, you
are best changing to maildir which is.

Yeah, this is definitely wrong.  Everything is in maildir format on the
mailstore. Question is, why would this even be working at all if it's wrong
in the config? The sql connection string has maildir defined in it, so, I'm
wondering if that might explain it.  Also, the indexes are not local which I
believe has been the recommendation. Also Lockd appears to be enabled on
both sides.

-Rod