[Dovecot] Dovecot and Bogofilter

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Mon Nov 10 21:26:54 EET 2008

Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Patrick Nagel wrote:
>
> > Thorsten Vollmer wrote:

> > > You do not need a plugin if you do the classification before the
> > > delivery: MTA | classification | LDA
> >
> > With postfix, just add bogofilter as transport to master.cf and make it the
> > 'mailbox_transport'.
> >
> > The problem with modifying the mail after reclassification persists, hope this
> > can be solved. Then I could also finally move from
> > postfix-procmail-bogofilter-cron-dovecot to
> > postfix-deliver-antispam-bogofilter-dovecot. :)
>
> Hi,
>
> it's not quite clear to me how this would work with bogofilter as a
> mailbox_transport - bogofilter isn't designed to do final delivery.
>
> It's also not quite clear to me why people would use procmail. Although
> defended by its maintainers, it's an unusable and unconfigurable piece
> of software from ancient past -- getting error handling right in
> procmail is next to impossible, requires forfeiting :e rules and
> bloating procmailrc with explicit error handling recipes.

If you haven't puked today, just look at their source code and programming
style. I think the configuration and exit code handling is not the worst
problem in this software.

> If you want something and Dovecot's deliver doesn't fit your needs,
> consider maildrop, <http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/>

Looks a bit bloated to me.

> Bogofilter has an "integrating-with-postfix" document in the doc/
> directory that shows how to use Postfix's content_filter and does not
> need procmail. Unfortunately, it does not show how to integrate updates;
> there are several approaches to achieve that. One way is to use separate
> mailboxes where users can send mail to and where they are picked up by
> cron - best when using Dovecot is probably to make users move spam into
> particular folders via IMAP.

I read that document some days ago, but the content_filter approach
looks strange to me, because they use sendmail to reinject the E-Mail
in the queue.

Regards,
Matthias-Christian