[Dovecot] Managesieve: Remote login fails

Brainkiller - Tom brainkiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 00:12:10 EET 2008

Stephan Bosch schreef:
>> Brainkiller schreef:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to get managesieve to work for our LAN, but when I
>>> try to login from a remote host i always get the following line in
>>> the log file:
>>> dovecot: child 26014 (login) killed with signal 11
>>>
>>> When i enable debuging, it just gives me that line, nothing more. I
>>> can only login from the localhost through telnet but not from a
>>> remote host.
>> This is a segmentation fault (crash) and therefore definitely a bug
>> in the ManageSieve service. But without more information I cannot fix
>> find and fix this bug. You should try to obtain a core dump or a gdb
>> trace as explained at http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html . Debugging
>> the login daemons can be a little more tricky. I usually attach gdb
>> to the managesieve-login process that is handling my connection
>> (using the gdb attach command). Be sure to compile dovecot with
>> debugging symbols enabled (default Debian packages are stripped).
>>
>> It is also interesting to know when exactly during the login process
>> it crashes. If you login manually from a remote host (as explained in
>> section 6 of http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve) you will be able to
>> check where it crashes. If you do not use TLS, you can also sniff the
>> traffic between client and server using ngrep to see where the login
>> process dies.
>>
>> Regards,

Hello again,

I tried to get a coredump with the infromation an the provided web-page.
However i never got a dump. I used the packages provided by "deb
http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto main". I don't know if these
contain the debugging symbols. So it seems i can't provide any further
information.

Regard, Tom