[Dovecot] Dovecot load balancing

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jul 31 19:42:01 EEST 2008

> I don't quite understand the proxy_maybe option :
>
> proxy_maybe can be used to implement "automatic proxying". If the proxy
> destination matches the current connection, the user gets logged in normally
> instead of being proxied. If the same happens with proxy, the login fails with
> "Proxying loops" error. This feature exists only in v1.1+.

This was my feature request.  Normally proxying is expecting to get a
result and proxy to that server.  In the case that the result might
actually be "we are here already" then you need to make your query
return null if you are already on the correct server to disable the
proxying.  This is simple with an sql db, but less easy with ldap.
proxy_maybe automatically checks the result of the proxy lookup and if
you are already on the correct server it doesn't proxy anything ('cause
you are already there)

Ed W