[Dovecot] syslog with PID

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 31 12:59:57 EEST 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Heiko Schlichting wrote:

> Without logging
> the pid, it is impossible to match 'Disconnected' log entries and the
> corresponding session start/login.

You can use %p in mail_log_prefix to log imap/pop3 process PID. It
can't be done with login processes, but even if it could be done I
doubt it'd be useful in figuring out the matching login and
disconnect? Unlike other IMAP servers Dovecot's login process doesn't
directly execv() the imap process..

I've thought about this before too though. Maybe some kind of a unique
cookie could be useful.