[Dovecot] lib90_cmusieve_plugin.so: undefined symbol: message_decoder_init

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jul 30 13:36:54 EEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 01:01:22PM +0300, Uldis Pakuls wrote:
> Thomas Harold wrote:
>>>>

>>> Looks like you mixed up binaries from different versions of dovecot.
>>> I recommend completely remove dovecot, (manually rechecking after rpm
>>> remove). and reinstall. Uldis
>>
>> So what versions should we be using?  We only had one version of
>> dovecot and one version of dovecot-sieve.

Look at your list above, you have dovecot 1.1.1-2_76.el5 *and* dovecot
1.1.2-2_77.el5, this looks quite wrong.

> "lib90_cmusieve_plugin.so: undefined symbol: message_decoder_init" -
> means you have old version of sieve plugin.
> since 2007-07-20 (see chagelog) plugins use "message_decoder_init".
> previous version used "message_decoder_init_ucase".
> so plugin binaries you have is something form v1.1alpha1... (broken
> RPMS?) - it is not sieve v1.1.5...

I don't think the rpms are broken. Thomas, do as Uldis recommended,
remove all traces of dovecot from you system including self-compiled
ones that may be under /usr/local. Then reinstall dovecot and
dovecot-sieve from ATrpms.

Also use rpm -V on packages that are suspect. If you do that on
dovecot right now, you will find many inconsitencies as one version
was installed over the other.

Final note: If you don't want to trust yum onto ATrpms or any other
repo and prefer to download/install manually, then never use rpm -i,
always use rpm -U (unless you are installing a kernel, that it). The
only way two different versions of dovecot being installed on your
system (of the same arch also), is if you manually used the -i switch
to rpm, or if the yum/smart/apt transaction was killed halfway trough
(power loss?). In both cases the only way to recover is to reinstall
the package in question.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net