[Dovecot] Server-side sieve for client-side copies

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Wed Jul 30 00:42:57 EEST 2008

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> The question:  can Dovecot be configured to support sieve filters on
> IMAP (not just SMTP) operations (Eduardo helped me here - so I'll
> specifically ask about the APPEND command).
It is quite funny that you bring this up right now, because as a matter
of fact there is a new IMAP extension in the works that should support
just that:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve-05.txt

However, as it is now, it is still cause for much debate in the Sieve
community, so I don't think this will yield an RFC any time soon.
> If not , I'll make that a feature-request - "Timo, can Dovecot be
> modified to support sieve-filters on APPEND operations?".
I would call this a plan for the distant future. There are quite a few
challenges to make something like this work efficiently without too much
of a performance impact. And, as some people have argued, the Sieve
language is (currently) not tailored to operate directly in an IMAP
context and that can - and probably will - cause unforeseen problems.

Regards,

Stephan