[Dovecot] mail extra field to override default mail_location for only certain users

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Sun Jul 27 08:48:23 EEST 2008

I am running version 1.1.1 with mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir.  This is
working great as all our users have UNIX accounts with nologin shells.  New
domains (and their users) are about to come online and we would like to
migrate to a setup with virtual mailboxes/users.  From the wiki and comments
within dovecot.conf, I see it is possible to do this piecemeal so both local
and virtual users can co-exist during the transition.  My question is how to
keep things working as they are for existing users/domains (which will be
migrated later), and use the virtual mailboxes (and thus, a different
mail_location) exclusively for the new users.  I understand that multiple
userdbs and passdbs can be specified, and this will take care of
authentication.  On http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers#homedirs it is
stated that "The userdb can return the mail extra field to override the
default mail_location setting. Usually you shouldn't need this."  Where is
this mail extra field defined?  In the userdb passwd-file or somewhere within
dovecot.conf?  If the former, would something like this suffice (mind the
wrapping):

user at domain.org::5000:5000::/home/vhosts/domain.org/:/usr/sbin/nologin::mail=m
aildir:/home/vhosts/%d/%n

Thanks,