[Dovecot] Problems with deliver and account resolving

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 24 02:32:56 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 02:04 +0200, Andreas Podgurski wrote:
> dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): auth(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): username changed Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de -> SunAdmin

deliver ignores this username change. It probably shouldn't, but I'm
not going to change it for v1.1.x anymore. Have you thought about doing
this change in MTA aliases instead?

> dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): master out: USER   1       SunAdmin        uid=1011        gid=1011        home=/var/www/jade/mail/SunAdmin

The home directory is correct.

> deliver(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): Jul 22 01:48:13 Error: mkdir(/var/www/jade/mail/Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de/cur) failed: Permission denied

This shows that you're not using the home directory in mail_location,
but you've explicitly specified it to use %u, which wasn't updated in
deliver.

> Btw., I ask myself, how dovecot can assume to use prefetch in this
> case, as prefetch bases upon the password query, which has to fail in
> this case, as there is no password. Shouldn't it not even try to use
> the prefetch values there...?

prefetch userdb is internally handled just like any other. The extra
work done by calling it is near nonexistent and the only time you see it
is with auth_verbose=yes. But I suppose it's a bit pointless to log that
line with userdb lookups. Fixed:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/ba6045b0b90f