[Dovecot] Namespaces

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:49:46 EEST 2008

On 7/22/08, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net> wrote:
>  I converted from Binc to Dovecot a while back, and I didn't use namespaces
> at all. Since I had been using the IMAPdir schema in Binc, I had to rename
> all the folders to match the Maildir++ schema, but that was a pretty simple
> script to write. If you're using the Maildir++ schema in Binc, then you
> don't have to do any renaming at all! As part of the transition process,
> what I did first, while I was testing out Dovecot, was to create a Maildir++
> full of symlinks that pointed back to the folders in the Binc IMAPdir. That
> way I could test it without affecting the live server. Once I had that
> working, all I had to do was change my script to move the directories rather
> than symlinking them.

Yeah, I'm thinking renaming the folders may be the way to go...  It's
easy on the test machine, not many folders..  The live system is a tad
larger..  :P  But, I think I have a working script already..  We shall
see..

>  The trick for me wasn't so much getting the folders into the right location
> as it was migrating all the other data that I didn't think about, such as
> the subscription lists and most importantly: the UID data. If you don't
> migrate the UIDs correctly, your users will probably end up re-downloading
> EVERY message, because their mail clients have no way of knowing that the
> messages haven't actually changed.

Hrm..  good point.  I know there's a script in the wiki for this, so
I'll take a look.  Most of these mailboxes are accessed via a web
client, so I don't believe it's that big of a deal.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com
http://blog.godshell.com