[Dovecot] changing INTERNALDATE or similar

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 17 14:58:03 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:56 -0700, Karl Rudnick wrote:
> I have a question which others must have encountered. I switched from
> uw-imap to dovecot-imap a few months ago and moved my fairly large mail
> archive (~15 yrs) by simply mounting both accounts in a mail app and
> simply copying my folders over. This worked well, and all my mail is in
> order when I view it in evolution or thunderbird on any number of
> machines. However, since our company uses MS Exchange Server, when I add
> my dovecot imap account to outlook, everything is great except the
> received dates - it looks like the date I made the transition, but in
> all instances it's not simply the time stamp in the Maildir folder. I
> googled around on this and have gathered that this date is coming
> somewhere from within the dovecot index file.

INTERNALDATE comes from the maildir files' mtimes. So you can use
whatever utility/script you want to modify the mtime (I don't have any
suggestions). Then delete dovecot.index.cache file to make sure the old
value wasn't cached. You might also have to recreate the account in your
clients to make sure they haven't cached the old values.