[Dovecot] configuration query

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 05:10:27 EEST 2008

Hello, please excuse my asking a question about simple configuration rather
than something about a suspected bug or other detailed enquiry.

I've set up dovecot (1.0.13, from http://www.blastwave.org) and when
Thunderbird connects to it, all is well and I see folders as expected.  When
MacOS X mail connects however, it sees my home directory on the dovecot
machine, not the mail directory.  Now setting-aside the obvious rant about
why MacOS has to be gratuitously different *again*, I would like to configure
dovecot not to serve my home directory.  I keeping saying I/my as this is
just a personal set-up at home.

This IMAP stuff is a bit involved but I thought namespaces would be the answer
but it seems not.  That is, I have

namespace private {
	location = /var/marchive/%u
	inbox = yes
}

but even this still allows Mac Mail to see the home directory.  What else
should I do to stop dovecot serving my home directory ?  I realise that there
is also a problem with the client, that Mac Mail is *asking for* my home
directory rather than the mail folder, but that's another problem, not for
this list.

Thanks in expectation.