[Dovecot] Maildir folder renaming disagreement among IMAP clients

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Jul 16 01:13:06 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:57 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
>
>> A user alerted me to a problem when he renamed an upper level mail
>> folder and lost access to a lower level folder under it.
>>
>> I tried with and without listescape, it didn't seem to make a
>> difference, and I saw no errors in the dovecot log.
>>

> It should have worked properly without listescape (and worked in my
> tests). Fixed listescape:
> http://dovecot.org/patches/1.1/listescape-plugin.c
>
> The way it should work is:
>
>  - Dovecot should rename all child mailboxes
>  - Dovecot shouldn't touch subscriptions

Yes thanks it works now!  I accidentally didn't test without listescape
as I claimed, it was still enabled by accident.

Come to think of it, this might affect moving folder trees to Trash and
expunging it?  I think I had one user report problems a few weeks ago,
and a co-worker just cleaned it up manually on the back end.  I didn't
get a chance to inspect closely.