[Dovecot] 1.1.1, mbox_snarf and duplicate messages

Laurent.Moineau at math-info.univ-paris5.fr Laurent.Moineau at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Fri Jul 11 21:59:36 EEST 2008

Hello,
I recently switched to dovecot 1.1.1 with mbox_snarf from uw-imap with
mbox driver enabled.

The mail is delivered by procmail in /var/spool/mail/user
Most of my users have a file INBOX located in $HOME/mail
The mail is transfered from /var/spool/mail/user to $HOME/mail/INBOX
every time an imap connection is done.

Things are OK with clients like thunderbird or evolution, but with imp
or mostly squirrelmail messages are duplicated (some user reported
that a single message duplicated 50 times !).

Every imap connection (thunderbird or webmail) terminates with a warning :

Timeout leak: 0x4534e0

I 've tried to use  fcntl in :
lock_method, mbox_read_locks and mbox_write_locks but things are worse
than traditional dotlocks.

My config on my first server :

sendmail-8.14.1
procmail
dovecot 1.1.1

On the second server :

The webmail (imp and squirrelmail, latest versions) is installed on
another server but uses server 1 as imap server.
I 've tried to use an imap proxy (perdition) but without any
improvement as far as this problem is concerned.
I previously used another dovecot server on that machine with an NFS
mount to get /var/spool/mail from the first server with the duplicate
problem too.

I enabled mail_log and there where a bunch of Info messages like this :

dovecot: Jul 11 18:20:11 Info: IMAP(foo): copy: uid=22,
dest=/users/foo/mail/INBOX,
msgid=<4877879C.40104 at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>, size=2223

Any hint ?

Is mbox_snarf considered as stable ?

dovecot -n :

# 1.1.1: /etc/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
protocols: imaps pop3 pop3s
listen: *
ssl_cert_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ipop3d.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ipop3d.pem
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_gid: 12
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mbox_lazy_writes: no
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugins(default): mbox_snarf
mail_plugins(imap): mbox_snarf
mail_plugins(pop3):
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
   debug: yes
   passdb:
     driver: pam