[Dovecot] Upgrade to 1.1 maildir & shared folders problems

sami at medusa.tutka.fi sami at medusa.tutka.fi
Mon Jul 7 10:22:36 EEST 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 sami at medusa.tutka.fi wrote:

> Seems to be quota plugin related, i removed the plugin and i could log on
> with a new user that did not have a maildir yet.
>
> When we upgraded to 1.1 i enabled the quota plugin witch i forgot to
> mention (sorry) since it was working nicely and reporting the quota to the
> users. quota is from a netapp filer that we use over nfs, any idea if we
> can make this work? later we will change to dovecots deliver and use it's
> quota, but mean time it would be nice for the users to see their quota
> directly from the mail client.

This seems to happen also on local filesystem, if quota plugin is enabled
as fs: users that do not have maildirs cannot login and the crash happens,
any possibility for a fix?;)

> > > Jun 30 11:19:07 [dovecot] IMAP(username):
> > > fchown(/var/mail/jaetut/temp.valas.17956.7b8393cabde89cbd) failed:
> > > Operation not permitted
> > > Jun 30 11:19:07 [dovecot] IMAP(username): dovecot-acl-list creation failed:
> > > safe_mkstemp(/var/mail/jaetut/temp.valas.17956.7b8393cabde89cbd) failed:
> > > Operation not permitted
> >
> > Do you use SELinux or something like that? "Operation not permitted" is
> > not the same as "Permission denied" which comes with normal filesystem
> > permission problems.
> >

> Not using SELinux, the location is also nfs if it makes a diffrence
> (control + index files are going to a local disk). i get the same error on
> the testbox as well, anything i could do to find out more why it's not
> creating the file?
>
> //sami

I tested this more and it seems that the dovecot-acl-list file is created
with permission only to the current user:

-rw------- 1 1002 sami   55 2008-07-07 09:40 dovecot-acl-list

So i manualy added rw permission to everyone and it seems to be working,
the uid on the file changes everytime someone logs on, but the permissions
seem to be sticking to it, any reason why dovecot would remove the file at
anypoint and re-create it with the "wrong" permissions?

//sami