[Dovecot] newbie: problem with IMAPS + mutt + Thunderbird

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Fri Jul 4 16:11:38 EEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 01.07.2008 at 00:34:55 +0200, Toni Mueller <support at oeko.net> wrote:
> 1. I can't find the folders in ~/Mail/. As an interim solution, I
>    symlinked them from my ~/Mailbox/ dir, but this is _dead_ugly_.

I think that it should be possible to solve this problem using
namespaces, but I didn't get far enough yet.

> 2. (MUCH more serious) As soon as I access the email using Thunderbird,
>    Dovecot moves all new mail from
>
>    somefolder/new to somefolder/cur, thereby making mutt flag all my
>    new mail as 'O' ("old") which was flagged 'N' ("new") before.
>
>    If I remember which the new mails were, I can flag them as 'N' in
>    mutt, and they get moved to .../new again, but this isn't usually
>    the case because my mailboxen are often large (> 10.000 messages),
>    and it's undone as soon as I access the mailbox with Thunderbird
>    (over IMAPS).

This I don't know how to tackle. Unfortunately, I don't know enough
about IMAP (therefore "newbie") as to know which piece of software to
blame, and/or whether this behaviour might be mandatory.

> The software versions I currently use are these:
>
> Mutt:  1.5.17+2008011
> Dovecot: 1.0.13-1~bpo40
> Thunderbird: 1.5.0.13+1.5.0
>

> Dovecot configuration:
>
> log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S
> protocols: imaps
> ssl_listen: 10.10.10.1:993
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
> login_processes_count: 2
> login_max_processes_count: 20
> max_mail_processes: 30
> first_valid_uid: 2000
> first_valid_gid: 2000
> mail_location: maildir:~/Mail:INBOX=~/Mailbox/
> mail_debug: yes
> auth default:
>   verbose: yes
>   passdb: