[Dovecot] User changing password

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Wed Jul 2 17:27:46 EEST 2008

Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>     If users are checking their email using imap or pop, is there a
> way they can change their own passwords (so I can create a temporary
> one and let them change them to whatever they want) through, say,
> Thunderbird or whatever?
Imap and pop3 protocols don't have such functions - dovecot too.
Actually there is no "standard" user/password database for Dovecot. It
supports a lots of different auth databases. Plain text, SQL LDAP
etc.The way you change password depends on database you are using.

I use SquirrelMail web mail - it have plugins for most auth db formats
(PAM ,SQL, LDAP).  In may case it is my own written wrapper/plugin as I
use mixed auth sources. User must log in with current password to change it.

Uldis