[Dovecot] OT - Legal disclaimers - WAS: Re: Poor pop3 over nfs performance

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Wed Jul 2 15:25:08 EEST 2008

El Miércoles, 2 de Julio de 2008 a las 13:50, Charles Marcus escribió:
> On 7/2/2008, Mark Zealey (Mark.Zealey at webfusion.com) wrote:
> > This mail is subject to http://www.gxn.net/disclaimer
>
> Wow... good idea for disclaimers (I hate them)...

IANAL, but: It's not only that we all hate them; also they are questionable in
a legal point of view. They are based on:

- "It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this
communication in error please notify the sender"

Yeah; I got the message, so I'm the addresee. No point here. And my telephatic
powers are down now, so I can't know if it's been an error or not.

or placing any reliance upon its contents"

Well, you sent it to me, so it's mine now. Sending a message to me doesn't
give you the power to tell me what should I do; otherwise, I could say
something like "send me all the files in your hard disk so I can verify you
save no copy of this messages" or even "send me 1000$".

- Confidentially

Under spanish law, I have to SIGN a contract BEFORE I access to the
confidential content. No contract, no confidentially. They can not show me
some content and, later, tell me it was confidential.

Some interesting articles about this:
- in spanish:
http://www.iabogado.com/esp/blogcfm/1/2007/12/Los-avisos-de-confidencialidad-en-los-correos-esos-engendros-jurdicos.cfm

- in english:
http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

And yes, I'm really tired of this messages...

Aaaaaaaaaagur.
--
Joseba Torre. CIDIR Bizkaia.