[Dovecot] Is there a way to limit multiple POP3 connections?

arvids arvids at mpe.lv
Thu Jan 10 18:53:43 EET 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008 18:37:51 Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 1/10/2008, arvids (arvids at mpe.lv) wrote:
> >> I updated http://wiki.dovecot.org/POP3Server. See maildir
> >> performance and session locking.
> >
> > so according to this for POP3-only setups and v1.1 it is better to
> > disable index files completely? Are there any drawbacks of disabling
> > index files for POP3-only setups?
>
> Thats not exactly what it says...
>
> It says IF your users don't keep messages on the server (this has always
> been fairly unreliable with POP as far as my experience goes anyway)
> then you may want to disable them completely or use the
> mbox_min_index_size setting.
>
> Maybe you should read it again... I know I often end up having to read
> these things many times before I can get my head around them - not
> becasue they are badly written, but because my head has a very strange
> shape and doesn't mold itself well to other shapes... ;).

I mean 'Maildir Performance' section, not 'mbox Performance' - according to it
all that POP3 needs is in dovecot-uidlist file(with v.1.1), so I assume that
index files are not needed at all for POP3-only and v1.1(no matter if users
keep their mails on server or not), and I just asked if I am right, because I
am not completely sure about it.
So maybe you also should read it again :)

Regards, Arvids