[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jan 10 18:03:58 EET 2008

on 1/9/2008 3:02 PM Andrew Falanga spake the following:
> On Jan 9, 2008 3:24 PM, Pascal Volk <user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 09.01.2008 22:51 schrieb Asheesh Laroia:
>>> As they say, I have been schooled. (-:
>>>
>>> My apologies - I wasn't aware of these "virtual user with a UID" setups.
>>> I was only aware of the "virtual users all share a UID" setup like the
>> What should I say? The Dovecot wiki <http://wiki.dovecot.org/> is very
>> informative. :-)
>

> Very informative yes, but at the same time it seems to make the same mistake
> all people make when writing documentation.  There are many assumptions made
> that a lot of fundamental knowledge of how mail works is known to the
> reader.  For example, the term "mbox" is simply used.  It's not really
> described anywhere (admittedly, that I could find) what mbox is.  It took
> much looking, and in fact one respondent to my question, a week ago, about
> what mbox and MAILDIR were, didn't respond with a dovecot wiki page but
> instead a wikipedia page.  This really shouldn't be.  This is only meant as
> constructive criticism, I'm not trying to be condemning here.
>
> Andy

Anybody setting up something like a mailserver should HAVE the basic knowledge
of these things. If you don't know the basics of how e-mail works, you should
have someone else set up your system. It is too easy to mis-configure a mail
server and have an open relay or a botted system.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and