[Dovecot] EXPUNGE delay

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Feb 29 00:15:26 EET 2008

on 2-28-2008 1:53 PM Eugene spake the following:
> Hi people!
>
> I just switched one of my servers from Courier to Dovecot. Planned to do it
> anyway but had to do it faster after the discovery that courier [the
> version
> I had installed, at least] returns malformed headers for a few messages,
> causing Outlook Express to completely ignore them. Curiously, they were
> visible in Squirrelmail and Nokia Series60 e-mail client.
>
> Overal I am quite happy but have one little problem. More often than not, I
> have to press 'Purge' button two or more times in order to actually remove
> the deleted messages. The fragment of Outlook's IMAP log is below.
> Interestingly, Dovecot 1.0.7 (on another server) does not have such
> problem.

Are you sure that they weren't removed the first time but Outlook didn't
refresh its header listing?

I have seen outlook take its sweet time in updating its header listings with
IMAP. I never thought that its support for IMAP could be worse than its
support for POP3.

I have to deal with it just because of the varied users I support, so I have
Outlook, outlook express and thunderbird all configured to see my message
store just for experimentations sake. But I use thunderbird daily.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and