[Dovecot] deliver & procmail

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Thu Feb 28 20:02:50 EET 2008

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> There shouldn't be Maildir in there. deliver reads dovecot.conf to
>>> figure out where your mails are located.
>>>
>> Sorry for jumping in this thread.  I am currently using Dovecot as
>> my IMAP and POP server.  I am using Sendmail as my MTA and Procmail
>> as my LDA.  Would I gain anything by using Deliver through Procmail
>> like the above example is?  My server is just a small home server
>> with very little e-mail traffic.
>
> If you haven' t noticed any performance slowdowns when accessing new
> mails for the first time, then probably not.
>
> With mboxes it could help. With Maildirs probably not. With v1.1 it
> helps more than with v1.0.

Thanks for the information.  I have one additional question, it is
probably not a Dovecot question more of a Procmail question.  I tried
adding the above code to my /etc/procmailrc file but it did not work.  Do
I have to put that code in each users .procmailrc file?  I would prefer to
just put it in on a system wide basis.

My current /etc/procmailrc file has this line:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Do I keep that line and put the above Deliver code in?  And if so, do I
keep the DEFAULT line at the top or after the Deliver code?

Thanks,
Jeff