[Dovecot] imaptest update

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 28 08:56:58 EET 2008

I've finally added support for "normal" command/reply tests for my
imaptest program (http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest).

My plan is that imaptest will include some generic IMAP compliancy tests
and Dovecot will include some more strict Dovecot-specific checks. "make
dist" will run all these tests before building a tarball, so in future I
shouldn't be able to release horribly broken versions. :)

I haven't yet had time to implement all the features that I'd like (e.g.
unordered list handling needs support), but I think the current features
will allow testing quite a lot already.
http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/Tests explains how it works.

There are currently two files: the actual test file and *.mbox file
where the mails are appended from to the test mailbox. I'm going to also
add *.conf file which allows specifying specific dovecot.conf settings.
This way I can test all these different namespace (etc.) variations as
well.

A couple of examples to show what's possible:

# Check that EXAMINE and STATUS return same UIDVALIDITY
examine $mailbox
* ok [uidvalidity $uidvalidity]
ok [read-only]
ok status $mailbox (uidvalidity)
* status $mailbox (uidvalidity $uidvalidity)

# Test EXPUNGE handling with 2 connections:
connections: 2

1 ok fetch * uid
* $seq fetch (uid $uid)
1 ok store $seq flags \deleted
* $seq fetch (flags (\deleted \recent))
1 ok expunge
* $seq expunge

2 ok fetch $seq uid
* $seq fetch (uid $uid)
2 ok noop
* $seq expunge

# LIST testing:
state: auth

ok list "" ""
* list (\noselect) $sep ""

# "" means that delete can return anything
# (although restricting it to "ok" or "no" would be better)
delete $mailbox${sep}test
""
delete $mailbox${sep}test2
""
ok create $mailbox${sep}test
ok create $mailbox${sep}test2

ok list "" $mailbox$sep%
* list (\hasnochildren) $sep $mailbox${sep}test
* list (\hasnochildren) $sep $mailbox${sep}test2