[Dovecot] nfs locking issues...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 26 19:12:18 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 11:03 -0500, John Gray wrote:
> I run into lock deadlocks if I run dovecot over nfs

As Aaron asked, it would be useful to strace the process to see what
exactly is waiting: mbox file or index files, dotlocking or fcntl
locking.

> Sometimes I can kill all the processes, remove the dot locks, and
> recover.  Something I need to reboot the nfs server to recover.

Maybe you could just try disabling fcntl locking for index files and see
how it works then:

lock_method = dotlock

Also if that doesn't help, try how mboxes work with only dotlocking:

mbox_read_locks = dotlock
mbox_write_locks = dotlock