[Dovecot] shared mailbox - namespace

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Fri Feb 22 17:37:44 EET 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, c-schettner wrote:

> Hi all,
> this is my last try to get help before giving up. I red the dovecot-wiki
> several times, but it doesn´t work. I don´t know what´s wrong. If I open
> thunderbird I see the folder "public" but I cannot subscribe it. I have
> dovecot 1.0.10. Yes it´s a little bit old but it is the latest version
> under debian packages. Please see my configuration below.

You cannot subscribe to the root folder of a namespace. I'm not entirely
sure *why* this is the case (it seems to be generally desired, and it's a
common source of confusion), but it's the way Dovecot's set up (Someone
correct me if that's wrong in the 1.1 series).

You should be able to subscribe to any subfolders, though. e.g. based on
the permissions in your example:

mkdir -p /home/vmail/public/.folder/{new,tmp,cur}
touch /home/vmail/public/.folder/dovecot-shared
chown -R vmail:vmail /home/vmail/public/.folder
find /home/vmail/public/.folder -type d -exec chmod 700 '{}' \;
chmod 644 /home/vmail/public/.folder/dovecot-shared

Then you should be able to subscribe to public/folder

I'm not sure how ACL's play into this. The lack of hierarchical ACL's
prevented them from being useful for my situation, but I had the benefit
of system users (so I could put them in groups and control access that
way).

Best,
Ben