[Dovecot] v1.1.rc1 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 22 09:20:08 EET 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

> Hello Timo!
>
> Looks like that mbox index handling still doesn't work with deliver:
> 1.) 1s mail delivered: Only dovecot.index.log is generated.

This is correct. dovecot.index doesn't need to be created/updated
always, and dovecot.index.cache isn't created because there's nothing
that's known wanted to be cached.

> 2.) Delivering several mails (e.g. 20x50MB=1GB) and opening with
> dovecot 1.0: Still slow. (after 2 times 1 time opened with dovecot
> 1.0 to generate indexes).

What do you mean by "open"? If you open it with an IMAP client it
probably fetches a lot of data and Dovecot needs to parse the messages
for that. deliver doesn't pre-cache anything it doesn't know a client
wants, so this is slow for the first messages. But if you do for
example:

1. deliver the first mail
2. open the mailbox
3. deliver lots of large mails
4. open the mailbox again

It should be fast. (and I just tested - it is)

> BTW: Is the index of 1.1 and 1.0 compatible?

They should be, but if you still have problems with it being slow,
maybe there's a small incompatibility.