[Dovecot] Quota handling on NFS Maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 21 14:34:39 EET 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 11:03 +0100, mikkel at euro123.dk wrote:

> I have been doing some testing and it appears that the updating of the
> file maildirsize is sometimes delayed.

When do you see this delaying?

> I figure this is because Dovecot collects theese changes in the
> transactions or index file and then once in a while writes them to
> maildirsize.

POP3 is run in a single transaction, but the mails are expunged and
maildirsize is updated only when QUIT is run. So you shouldn't be able
to notice a situation where maildirsize doesn't match the maildir
contents.

> Could there be a week spot in the code somewhere that allow for this kind
> of error when the use of POP3 and IMAP are mixed (I think this happens
> even when POP3 and IMAP access aren't concurrent)?

Both IMAP and POP3 use the same code to access mailboxes and update
quota, so I can't really think of anything.

Although it's of course possible to use different settings for
POP3/IMAP.

> mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota trash
> mail_plugins(pop3): quota

OK, both use quota plugin..

> plugin:
>   quota: maildir
>   quota_rule2: Trash:storage=10M:messages=100

I guess quota_rule comes from userdb? Is it the same for both imap/pop3?
Although that shouldn't matter since the maildirsize should be updated
in any case..