[Dovecot] warning: connect to transport dovecot: No such file or directory

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Tue Feb 19 12:02:55 EET 2008

David Koski wrote:
> I have installed postfix, dovecot, mysql as per:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/DovecotLDAPostfixAdminMySQL
>
> ..on Debian Etch.  I thought mailboxes were created by postfixadmin or postfix
> but I only get an error:
>
> warning: connect to transport dovecot: No such file or directory
>
> ..in the postfix log.  No /var/vmail/example.com is created.  After creating
> the domain directory and user directory, applying correct ownership, still it
> made no difference.  I checked my main.cf:
>
> virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail

"Connect to transport dovecot: No such file or directory:"
Check postfix's master.cf - search for line (transport definition)
"dovecot" - correct path to dovecot's deliver binaries.

virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail

This setting applies only to postfix virtual transport; as you are
useing dovecot's deliver -  this setting is not used.
Path to users mailboxes must be defined in dovecot users db. (in your
case - MySQL database) any settings in postfix configuration are ignored.

> Any clues?
>
> Thanks!
> David Koski
> david at kosmosisland.com