[Dovecot] Apple Mail for 10.4/Shadow/SSL -> Problem.

Phredd Groves phredd at paradox.psych.columbia.edu
Thu Feb 14 17:40:25 EET 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:09:54PM -0500, Phredd Groves wrote:
*
*I have recently gotten Dovecot running on my Solaris 5.8 mail server in order
*to replace UW IMAP.  I'm currently testing it out with mail clients popular
*amongst my users.  It's been working very well, with one vital exception.
*
*Apple Mail on OS X 10.4 is not completing authentication (I don't think
*it's even getting that far).
*
*All I'm seeing in the syslog for attempts with Apple Mail (for both IMAP
*and POP3) is a single line per attempt:
*
*Jan 29 17:20:01 paradox dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.info] imap-login: Disconnected: rip=X.X.X.X, lip=Y.Y.Y.Y, TLS handshake
*
*This is even with verbose for auth and for SSL.  I know syslog plays well with
*mail.warning and mail.debug and mail.notice, so I'm not quite sure what's
*going on there.  Nothing shows up in authlog or messages either.
*
*The OS X 10.5 Apple mail client works just fine, as do Thunderbird and even
*Eudora.  There did not seem to be any coverage of this when I googled and
*went through the dovecot archives, so I'm thinking it might be some weird
*interaction between that particular client and the SSL/shadow implementation
*in dovecot (Things work in UW IMAP for the client).
*
*Any suggestions?  thanks!

Just wanted to follow this up.  I was contacted off list be a few people
and confirmed myself that the issue is that the Mac OS X mail client for
Tiger (10.4) does not work properly if it is assigned a non-standard port
for IMAP or POP3.

Once I brought dovecot into production at the standard ports, the Apple
mail client for Tiger worked just fine.

Phredd Groves
--
Systems Administrator