[Dovecot] Expected size of index-files?

Jan van den Berg jan.vandenberg at isp.solcon.nl
Fri Feb 8 18:45:04 EET 2008

(Wow you are fast!)

"For webmail type setups indexes help a lot. For Outlook/Thunderbird
they help a lot less."

Very interesting!

I'm scared to use (index) files that go sort of unnoticed (it's not
calculated in the maildirsize file) and can potentially grow with no
limit.

But I am also curious what ":INDEX=MEMORY" will do with 100k users. How
much MB RAM will one IMAP session on average take? And will this be
removed from memory (or stay cached) when an IMAP session is closed?

Cheers,

Jan