[Dovecot] Expected size of index-files?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 8 18:32:57 EET 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 6:25 PM, Jan van den Berg wrote:

> That's actually quite a lot.
> Consider you run 100k+ mailboxes (1GB each) and you would move to
> Dovecot this will be a huge chunk out of your storage.
> Is using dovecot index files really that much faster than running
> ":INDEX=MEMORY" ? Where could I find some benchmarks about this?

IMAP benchmarks are difficult to produce because they depend so much
on what clients are used (and how many clients user is using, and how
user is using the clients). For webmail type setups indexes help a
lot. For Outlook/Thunderbird they help a lot less.

> so, on average maybe 20%-30%  of the size of your messages ?

It's actually more to do with the number of messages than the size of
the messages. dovecot.index.cache file is the largest one and it
completely depends on what IMAP client is used. It contains only the
information clients are interested in.