[Dovecot] (message_parse_header_next): assertion failed:, +(IS_LWSP(line->value[0])) 1.1beta14

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Fri Feb 8 06:09:35 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 00:28 -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:
>
>> I noticed these happen when one of my users searches his Trash folder
>> which he doesn't empty.
>> He uses thunderbird and it is reproducable.
>>
>> Feb  5 22:47:39 boomhauer dovecot: IMAP(username): file
>> message-header-parser.c: line 350 (message_parse_header_next): assertion
>> failed:
>> +(IS_LWSP(line->value[0]))
>>

> I can't really understand how this is possible. I tried a few ways to
> reproduce this but couldn't. Can you reproduce this by copying the mails
> to a test account and then identify which mail causes it?
>
> It looks like there's a Content-Type header which continues to a new
> line, but the variables in the bt full show that the second line is
> actually empty.. I guess it could be also that the backtrace is just a
> bit broken (it clearly is in some places).

I had him narrow down the bad emails by divide and conquer out of his 85,000
mails in that folder :) He gave me two examples, I looked at them and
they have
a bunch of nulls right in the middle of the email, with more email text
at the end.
Some kind of corruption.  He could cause the assertion by doing a body
search.
I was able to reproduce this myself with the attached tar of the test
maildir. Thanks.