[Dovecot] backup strategy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 7 21:05:10 EET 2008

Quoting Sean Kamath <kamath at geekoids.com>:

> So. . . If you want tape backups, buy ArcServer and Netware because
> it doesn't work on Linux?

This is straying off the intended topic...

> Whilst the whole rsync or other on-line solution is fine for those
> who want that, my solution was a little more direct: use dump

That's what I've always used too.

> (ufsdump on Solaris).  Don't use dump on Linux, it won't work (so
> says Linus: http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html,
> except the links don't work.  Sigh.  I can't find the direct link.).
>  At least not on live filesystems.

That's because he later retracted that statement.  Dump is as reliable
on linux as anywhere else.  Keypoint: dump isn't reliable on a live
filesystem; either unmount it or use snapshots to get a consistent dump.

> Of course, you have to think about your backups.  But I think it's a
> worthwhile investment to actually think about your backups, your
> rotation and retention schedule, and not just trust the vendor.

Agreed.

And realize that no one backup system works for everyone, or every setup.
You will have to think a bit to come up with a backup system that fits
your own needs and resources.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics