[Dovecot] backup strategy

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Thu Feb 7 18:13:50 EET 2008

Sean Kamath wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008, at 5:40 AM, Rick Romero wrote:
>> IMHO, if you're going to use tapes, just buy ArcServe.   I've used it
>> for years on Netware, and was unable to get it to work with Debian (so
>> I'd suggest rsync/mysqldump to a supported box).
>>>snip<<<
 >
> Forgive me if I disagree.
>
> Whilst the whole rsync or other on-line solution is fine for those who
> want that, my solution was a little more direct: use dump (ufsdump on
> Solaris).  Don't use dump on Linux, it won't work (so says Linus:
> http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html, except the links
> don't work.  Sigh.  I can't find the direct link.).  At least not on
> live filesystems.
>>>snip<<<

curious... I've been using dump for decades (unix and linux) without any
problems on mounted filesystems.  And yes, I have restored successfully
from those dumps.  Perhaps I'm just one of the lucky ones.  Anyone with
half an ounce of common sense will use due caution backing up "live"
data, regardless of the tool used, and will prefer to work with umounted
filesystems when possible, but it isn't an imperative, nor always practical.

There are plenty of choices for all manner of backup and restore needs.
  It's always best to consider all options first and find your way to
the one that works for you.  And just because something doesn't work for
you (or for someone else) doesn't mean it won't work for the next sys
admin to come along.  Simply present the options that worked for you and
let the OP decide what works best for them.

A good reference for back and restore is:
http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0596102461
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org
voice: +1.970.242.3331 ext 116
   fax: +1.970.245.7854