[Dovecot] location of .subscriptions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 5 16:43:57 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 14:50 +0100, Jochen wrote:
> Hello Timo,
>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:47:08PM +0200, you wrote:
>
> > The .subscriptions file goes to the mbox root directory. This can't be
> > changed with mboxes.
>
> If I have a few central shared IMAP folders in mbox format, how could
> I manage the subscriptions problem? Here it is quite usual that
> several users subscribes to one or more of these folders. If the
> .subscriptions file goes to the root directory of those shared folders
> only the first user will be able to subscribe to these folders.

Right, that's a problem that can't be solved with v1.0 + mbox.

> > With maildir you could specify a different directory with
> > :CONTROL=path.
>
> O.k., is it possible to convert just the shared folders to Maildir
> leaving the user mailboxes in mbox format for now?

Yes. Just change the location = .. in the shared namespace to point to
maildir instead of mbox.

> > With v1.1 there's a new subscriptions=no namespace setting. Then you can
> > specify that you have all users' subscriptions in only the private
> > namespace.
>
> Great. But v1.1 does not compile in our good old mailserver. :-(
> gcc 2.91 (please, no comment on this...).

A few days (or weeks?) ago there was a patch in this list for compiling
Dovecot v1.1 with gcc 2.95. That would probably work for 2.91 too.

> Perhaps it is possible to compile a statically linked dovecot on one
> of our newer machines?

That should work too.