[Dovecot] NULL for password and proxy fields

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.ORG
Sun Feb 3 22:03:49 EET 2008

In the course of experimenting with getting dovecot proxying to work,
I took a guess at two things.  These work fine for me, but now I'm
wondering if they are "as designed" or just a lucky accident that
might stop working in the future.

(I'm using dovecot 1.0.rc17, which is the included version in Ubuntu
Feisty.  (I am aware that some details change in v1.1, and I'm not
worried about that right now.)

http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy

1.  The wiki page says about password forwarding, "Make sure that the
authentication succeeds with any given password. You can do this by
using empty passwords."  I didn't know exactly now to interpret that
last part, so I tried returning NULL as the value of the "password"
field for proxy cases.  That seems to make dovecot skip the password
check will forwarding the user-submitted password to the proxy target
host.  Is that the intent of that part of that wiki page?

2.  It looks like any value at all for the "proxy" field in the passdb
lookup turns proxying on.  The one exception is a value of NULL for
"proxy", in which case proxying is not turned on and proxy-related
other fields are ignored.  Is that how it's intended to work?

If someone can give and informend confirmation that this is
as-designed, I can add some clarifying remarks on those points on the
wiki page.

Thanks.
--
bill-dovecot at carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119