[Dovecot] Bug handling zero-byte files in maildirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 2 11:48:24 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 18:03 -0700, Aria Stewart wrote:
> I managed to get a bunch of zero-byte files in my maildirs today, and
> Dovecot choked completely (at least for pop3 users);

What Dovecot version?

> It wouldn't
> download any messages at all, and the mailbox would often say "-ERR
> [IN-USE]" when doing a STAT

That error is returned for the first command after login if the mailbox
syncing failed (or locking it failed). Dovecot should have logged an
error in that case.

Anyway I don't see why zero byte files should be a problem for Dovecot.
I've often used them for testing, and just now couldn't reproduce this
problem. Maybe the actual problem is something else.